Friday, November 27, 2009

Simmer down, now

You won’t find me out shopping on this, the so-called busiest shopping day of the year, because I have agoraphobia, which means basically that you all scare the hell out of me. The very idea of going out there today and having my (admittedly hugely oversized) personal space invaded by lots of strangers is enough to keep me right where I am, breathing into my paper bag and trying in vain to resemble at least a distant family member of normal, like its great aunt or something.

In fact, Black Friday is usually when I commence what I like to think of as my annual medquest/medfest. This is a process honed by years of practice, whereby I search for some type of (OTC only, folks) product to soothe my jangled mind, assuage those irrational fears, and introduce a frisson of happiness somewhere into my (very) nervous system. And I’ll admit right up front: it’s usually a medquest, not a medfest, but I have to keep trying. One doesn’t give up a quest, especially not when the reward is that eventually I might find the chill pill of my fondest fantasies.













Here’s the first line of defense in this year’s anti-stress arsenal. I liked the fact that it’s a kit, of course, and that it gives me the option of taking some pills for my stress or a little snort of anxiety relief for things like minor mood swings, stage fright, and that uncool stomach thing (to which I am particularly prone). The option also exists to for me to go hog wild and double-dose myself in four hour intervals, which is pretty much the usual game plan.











I also got, as back-up plan A, a straight shot of Anxietol 7. It works on stress, anxiety and depression, relying heavily upon two highly active ingredients, one attempting to keep me relaxed, capable of learning and free of menstrual pain (how are they so certain I’m not a guy?) and another which is an adaptogen, which, you know, basically helps with adapting. That pretty much covers all the bases, huh? Plus, they’ve finally taken care of the nasty side effects well known to users of Anxietol formulas 1-6, such as facial muscular tics and the inability to sleep with one’s eyes closed. I don’t know about you, but I am a total sucker for any product that ends with the cherished “it all” sound, because of course I want to rid myself of as much anxiety as possible.

















Then it occurred to me that MoodFix might also be helpful. It improves mood fluctuation, which doesn’t really mean I’ll be in a better mood. But it does mean I’ll be in a different mood, so at least I won’t know what to expect, and sometimes a quick change is close enough, or at least better than nothing.

My sincere hope is that by the time the holidays are over I’ll feel ready to emerge from my soothing druggy cocoon. But at the moment it feels like I can’t get in there quickly enough.