Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm ready, I'm ready

















I spent many risky years on the snowy roads of winter, traveling long distances, often in near white-out conditions, fingers crossed and mind refusing to contemplate any of the pitfalls I might encounter. Not so these days; something about getting older seems to compel us to value our lives, even to take measures ahead of time to ensure our safety. Sounds crazy if you’re still under a certain age, but when you get to this phase of life, believe me, you’ll share this trait with your fellow geezers.

Now I leave the house engulfed in confidence, knowing that even if that worst-case scenario I can’t stop envisioning actually occurs, I’m kitted out and have what I need to see me through. I scoff at travel advisories and instead have adopted a "bring it!" approach to bad driving conditions. That’s because I went with the ever-trustworthy AAA and got myself a 65-piece severe winter weather travel kit. Why, there’s a folding shovel, three pieces of fleece, a strobe light, and a 46-piece first-aid kit (which can be further broken down into a 13-piece bandage kit and a 33-piece aspirin kit)! Kind of hard to see, but there’s also a whistle (hey!), a few tea candles, an ice scraper, and reading materials to pass the time. With 65 pieces, I've got all the bases covered and then some!