Monday, October 12, 2009

Why I read the small print

Have you ever shopped at a Sav-A-Lot store? If so, you’ve learned that one of their fun money-saving practices is not offering free bags to customers. Oh, they offer other options: you can pack yourself a shallow box top, purchase a regular issue plastic grocery bag (which feels ridiculous; who would buy one if given the option not to?), or be a green consumer and bring your own bag of choice. Which is what I would have done when I was there the other day, except it was my first time saving a lot, and I did not know about this policy, which resulted in my doing the precarious walk out to my vehicle. And it was a long precarious walk, because these days a lot of us are trying to find ways to cut back on spending.






















But I don’t like being ill-prepared for situations, so next time I’ll be tossing my purchases into a love drawing mojo bag. Besides holding pasta sauce, dog food and toilet paper, it’ll be doing all kinds of positive things for my social life, bringing potential loved ones into my orbit—oh, yes, mmm-hmm, it will indeed, and that’ll be great.

More importantly, though, the mojo bag comes pre-packed with a small amount of special herb. And let me tell you, after a hot afternoon at the crowded Sav-A-Lot store, there’s nothing like getting back home, putting those cheap groceries away, and finding some special herb waiting for you in the bottom corner of the bag. Most people would by-pass this product, believing at first glance that they could easily obtain a less expensive, better-made and more attractive bag for much less money. And they probably could. Maybe that bag would even be better at drawing in love. And yet.