Thursday, January 15, 2009

Playing the spoons

















I grew up in a monetarily-deprived household but was blissfully unaware of it because kids will play with anything if they’re not too commercially exposed (this may no longer be humanly possible). We always seemed to have an endless variety of activities, games and toys, and not just the standard stuff. For instance, we had hours of fun in the basement pretending a fold-out ironing board was a pommel horse and doing “gymnastics.” I didn’t realize at the time how frequently we managed to get double duty out of things that weren’t intended for play, but when I think back, I realize we made toys out of everything.

I’m sure if these wooden spoon puppets had been on the market back then, we’d have owned a set. Hell, we probably would gleefully have played with undecorated wooden spoons, much less ones with necklaces and moustaches. Soon you’ll find yourself eyeing other kitchen implements and making comparisons. I think my tongs could use a little cardigan, and my spatulas might look kind of sharp in that shirt/tie combo.