Friday, August 1, 2008

Utter coolness

Nothing says summer weekend like a big blowout party and mine’s tonight! The theme is winter in summer. I’ve set up a sprinkler, a kiddie pool and one of the old, original Slip-n-Slides in my kitchen, and some dry ice, just for effect. (might also be a good time to pull out my FX-A fog machine!) Man, I can’t wait!












I’ve also got the insta-snow powder – it’s going to take forever to clean up, but my entire living room will be transformed into a winter wonderland.

The drinks are going to be really fun, too.



















I’ve got Titanic ice molds, for making “gin and titonics.” Someone’s going to say “You sank my battleship!” before the night’s over, and I plan to laugh as though I’d never thought of it before, because I’m a good hostess that way. Besides, I’ll be pretty far gone by then.




















Couldn’t resist the skull & crossbones ice. Arrrr, matey. If you have friends who like Captain Morgan, they’re going to love these ice cubes. But I’ve forbidden my guests from wearing puffy shirts. Not cool.




















I can’t wait to try the newest addition to my collection, cool jazz ice cubes with reusable handles which do double duty as drink stirrers. But if I catch one person putting these in his/her mouth, that person is going to be asked to leave. Also not cool.



















I think I found these ice cube molds at a yard sale. The ice looks like fruit wedges and comes with a built-in reusable straw. If you pour lemonade or orange juice in them, they’re a little more fun, but this one’s for the sissies and sangria drinkers in the crowd, the people who don’t tend to mind the concept of reusable straws, and for when all the other cool ice has been used up. Always have a back-up plan when you’re hosting a party! (good words to live by)















I’m also the proud owner of dental ice molds—got 'em a long time ago. If you have friends with dentures, ask them to take their teeth out and see how long they can use these—the resulting facial expressions are gut-bustingly funny. Plus, they really keep a drink chilled, and if the teeth break off it’s that much more fun. Sometimes I put a kernel of corn or a black bean or a little piece of pickle in one of the front teeth holes while I’m making the ice. My guests always sit up and take notice! Tonight the game’s gonna be: first one to get a vegetable in his/her mouth gets to be first in line for the















ice luge! Simply apply your mouth to the ice (careful; don’t get stuck!), pour the alcoholic beverage of your choice down the chutes, and the short-lived fun really kicks into high gear. I usually save this for the last hour or two of the party.








Please note, saying yum while using ice luge is optional. You can just think it silently to yourself.

Hope you plan to attend. As Alan Thicke says, the fun starts when you get here!