Friday, August 22, 2008

Welcome to our world, won't you come on in

We’ve been trying to decide on a new doormat format. I wanted to stray from the stale traditional mats that either say nothing at all or offer up only a simple welcome; I wanted something fresh, something new. But we couldn’t agree on the mat’s personality. Did we really want to appear to be warmly encouraging visitors, or couldn’t this become a beautiful opportunity to keep the world at bay? (No surprise here: I was the one occupying the latter category.)




















So this mat kind of appealed to me, with its literary reference and truth-telling. It doesn’t quite say “come on in!” but it’s not too off-putting. I thought it hit a proper middle-of-the-road tone of neutrality.




















Whereas my so-called better half prefers the outright enthusiasm and come-hither siren song of this mat. I said if that was going on the front porch, I’d put this one beside it:




















Or this one:
















Then he found, and fell in love with, this doormat. To him it seemed the very epitome of a welcoming image. I told him I thought it might scare the neighbors and that I didn’t want to step over it every time I came home.















I counter-offered this mat:




















I thought it seemed welcoming enough; at least the sentiment is there, despite its lack of strength. I also appreciate the honesty.

To which his response was to get a little funky with it:















I just gave him the look. “What?” he asked. Instead of explaining, I offered up what seemed to me like a sincere effort at compromise, a mat with a sense of humor:












But he said that was really funny only if the person at the door was a female wearing a dress or skirt, and how often does that happen chez nous? Very, very seldom.

His idea of humor was something a little more helpful:



















No way,” I said. I don’t like being told I’m here, what can I say?

By this time we’d wasted hours, but we finally found a compromise.





















The doormat of denial. It looks great, too. Coordinates very nicely with the house colors.

But I secretly bought this one when he wasn’t looking, and I’m going to put it on the back porch:



















Maybe if I tell him “feck” means shoes in Finnish…think he’ll buy it?